Gorilla tracking Tips
- Waterproof walking shoes or hiking boots are for tracking
- Gardening gloves for protection against stinging plants
- Long trousers and long-sleeved sweaters or shirts while in the forest.
- Photography is only allowed with a flash off so as not to scare the Gorillas
- Porters are available to help you with your bags at a small fee
- Carry enough drinking water because you never know the location of the Gorillas from the start of your hike. Be prepared for long walks just in case
- Eating, drinking, and smoking near the gorillas is forbidden. The ranger will always communicate when it’s appropriate for you to do so.
- Bwindi being a tropical forest, it can rain anytime so we encourage you to carry a rain jacket.
- Bottled drinking water on safari,
- 1 Gorilla permit
- Accommodation and meals outlined,
- English speaking guide/driver
- Park entrance fees
- Activities as outlined,
- Visa/entry permit for Uganda if required at 50 USD,
- International Flight costs
- All drinks except ones served for breakfast, beverages
- Any activity not mentioned
- Personal travel insurance covers.
- Tips to Waiters/ Waitresses and Tour Guides
- Any other expenses of personal nature
Accommodation named in the itinerary is based on availability during the preferred travel dates. In case of non-availability, similar types of accommodation will be recommended.
Gorilla permits cannot be confirmed until a booking/ payment has been made by the clients.
This Safari can be organized throughout the year based on the travel dates of the clients and the availability of Gorilla permits. It can as well be tailored to fit the tastes and preferences of the clients.
The Safari is done in 4WD Safari cars with a pop-up roof for Game Viewing. Each client has a window seat for better travel moments.
Day 1: Transfer from Kigali to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park- Rushaga
Pick up from Kigali in the morning for transfer to Bwindi Impenetrable National park in Uganda. Clients need to ensure that they have all their Visa documentation in order so as not to have a lot of time wasted at the border in Cyanika. The drive from Kigali to Rushanga in Bwindi takes approximately 4 to 5 hours based on the time spent at the border point driving North of Rwanda through Ruhengeri and Musanze.
Estimated travel time: 4- 5 hours based on time spent at the border
Accommodation: Budget l Mid-range l Luxury
Meal Plan: Dinner
Day 2: Gorilla tracking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
Clients will be transferred to the park offices at 7:20 am for a briefing about the whole process. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park is home to almost 340 Mountain Gorillas which is estimated to be the world population of Gorillas. While here, they are also told about the major safety procedures to follow while in the forest to ensure a successful jungle expedition and to get the best of the mountain gorilla tracking experience. We shall leave the lodge with packed lunch boxes to prepare for the Gorilla tracking because we can’t be certain what time clients will return from the tracking.
After a briefing from the Ranger guide, traverse to the Gorilla sanctuary to start tracking these lovely creatures. It takes approximately 1-2 hours or less to find the gorillas based on where they are located. Clients spend 1 hour observing and taking pictures of a particular Gorilla family. The time you spend observing these endangered species is worth a trip to any part of the world and can never be forgotten. Clients are expected to have enough drinking water, good hiking shoes, rain jackets in case it rains, gloves if necessary, long-sleeved clothes. Time spent with these Gorillas is very priceless.
It’s also very wise for one to be in good physical shape because at times there are very steep slopes and muddy at times which requires one to be in good shape. . There are however porters for hire who can carry luggage or the tourist on a stretcher in case hired. They are hired for about $10 to $15.
At the end of the Gorilla tracking, retire back to the lodge to rest or take part in a community experience tour that can be organized by the lodge at a cost.
Meal Plan: Full board- Break Fast, Lunch & Dinner
Day 3. Transfer back to Kigali
After your Gorilla tracking experience, you will start your journey back to Kigali where our guide will leave the clients. Provided time allows a short tour of the Kigali Genocide Museum will be done.
End of the Tour.